Thursday, July 1, 2010

Work, play, help others...

I'm super busy this week! Here are a few completed pieces...

Amethyst!


Rhodonite!


I'm thinkin real hard about starting a new nano-reef. If/when I do, I will document it here :)


Since I have been playing with lapidary lately, a helpful tip came into my head last night. Now this may be a well known thing, but whatever!

So if you are into setting stones, and you like your bezels tight like me(I like my cabs to "pop" into place), occasionally you may get a stuck cab, even using dental floss underneath it. So a good thing to have on hand would be some dopping wax, a dowel and a flame. Make sure your cab is clean first and heat it up. No direct flames and not too hot as to crack the stone, but hot still. Heat up the wax on the end of the dowel, and clump it onto the entire surface of the cab. Let cool for 20 minutes or so to room temp and pull that sucker out! When you are done put the cab in the freezer for 5 minutes and the wax will all crumble off. Thats it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors